I have made few photo manipulation tutorials on my Youtube channel. Some of the viewers had requested for me to do a blog post about the Little Angel tutorial. I thought it was a good idea too and that it will help beginners to improve their Photoshop manipulation skills. So all the details are given below, step by steps with screenshots. I hope by the end of the tutorial you will be able to clear any doubts you had.
Photo manipulation tutorial: Little Angel
First, open Photoshop. Create a new file and set width and height (how to create new document photoshop). Download stock images using the below given download button.
After creating a new document you have to insert stock images. You can simply drag and drop the images to the Photoshop menu bar (introduction to photoshop). Otherwise, you can do it through file->open and select the relevant images.
Here you can find all the things step by step and also if you want to watch the video tutorial you can find it embedded at the bottom of the page.
- First, select France forest.jpg image.
- Insert the selected image into the Photoshop document.
- Select the pen tool in the toolbar.
- Use pen tool and draw a path like in the image above.
- Right-click, inside the selected area and click make selection option.
- Click ok when make selection popup window is displayed.
- Add new layer by clicking add new layer button in layer options. (introduction to photoshop)
- Copy the selected area using Ctrl + C (copy)
- Select new layer (layer name is layer 1)
- Paste using Ctrl + V. (paste)
- Select layer 0 (layer name is layer 0) you can rename it if you wish
- Go to menu bar and click filters.
Combine and Blend Images
- Scroll down and select blur->Gaussian blur.
- Set radius to 16.6 pixels in the Gaussian blur pop-up window and click ok.
- Select layer 1.
- Select erase in the toolbar.
- Erase edges from layer 1 image.
- Go to image folder and drag angel.jpg image into the photoshop document.
- Select the pen tool in the toolbar.
- Using the pen tool mark the outline of the angel
- After selection, create a new layer (layer 1) using layer options
- Select layer 0 and copy using Ctrl + C and paste into layer 1 using Ctrl+ V
- Click move tool in the toolbar.
- Drag layer 1 image into the main document file (into the France forest.jpg)
- Scale down the angel image using free transform (Ctrl + T). Make sure to press and hold Shift key when reducing the size.
- Select create an adjustment layer and select brightness/contrast option. (create an adjustment layer includes in the layer option)
- After reducing brightness to -137 change the contrast to 6 on brightness palette
- Again click create adjustment layer and select hue/saturation option in layer option.
- Reduce the lightness to -41.
- Select brush tool in the toolbar.
Create Lighting Effects
- Select the brightness/contrast layer and brush center and top sections.
- Select the hue/saturation layer and brush the layer which contains the image on the foreground(angel).
- Create a new layer (layer 3) and select the brush tool in the toolbar.
- Type #fffa74 colour code in the colour picker window.
- Select starlight.jpg.
- Drag the selected image and drop into Photoshop.
- Rotate that image according to the above screenshot.
- Open Hue/Saturation popup using Ctrl + U.
- Select erase tool in the toolbar and erase background edges in starlight.jpg.
- Select layer one and create a copy of the layer using the pen tool.
- Create a new layer called layer 5 and paste that copy into inside using Ctrl + V
- Select Filter->Blur->Gaussian Blur and apply to layer 5.
- Select layer 4 and apply the Luminosity option in the layer style dropdown.
- Select layer 5 and select the Dodge tool in the toolbar.
- Make highlights in angel image using this Dodge tool.
- This concludes the steps required to create the photo manipulation, so now go to files and save the image.